IUIS and EFIS are working together to involve all Regional and National Societies in a global effort to promote the benefits of immunology research during the International Day of Immunology (DoI) taking place every year on April 29.
“This is a unique opportunity to increase awareness around the world about immunology and the importance of immunity to fight major diseases, improve research and save lives,”Stefan Kaufmann, IUIS Past President when launching the first Day of Immunology in Europe in 2005
Awards totaling 5000 euros will be given once every 3 years for the 4 best public relations campaigns of the Day of Immunology for the years 2020 to 2022:
- International Day of Immunology Award, by IUIS – 2000 euros for the best international campaign
- European Day of Immunology Award, by EFIS – 2000 euros for the best campaign in Europe
- Award for the Best Newcomer Campaign, by EFIS – 1000 euros for the best campaign organized by a candidate participating in the DoI Awards for the first time
- Best Theme Award, by IUIS – 1 000 euros for the best campaign organized by a candidate participating in the DoI, which corresponds to one of the year’s themes (Autoimmunity and Autoinflammation 2020, Cancer Checkpoint Blockade 2019, Vaccine Developments in Tuberculosis 2018, IGE-Allergy 2017)
How to Apply in 2020
- Designate one person among your staff or members to be the “Ambassador” for the campaign that you will develop and implement. Your Ambassador will be the contact person for all information regarding your campaign.
- Send the name of your Ambassador, his/her email, phone, address and a short description of your campaign action plan to the Central Office: firstname.lastname@example.org ➡️ Deadline for entry: April 25, 2020
- Design and implement your campaign to take place on or around the Day of Immunology, April 29, 2020.
- After your campaign is complete: Submit a report, which should include what you did, an estimate of how many people you reached, and what were some of the major results. More information about how to submit a report will be sent to your Ambassador. Submit the detailed report to: email@example.com ➡️ Deadline for reports: June 1, 2020.
Applications submitted in 2020 will be reviewed in June 2022, together with the 2021 and 2022 DoI Awards applications.
Who can apply?
All National Societies and Regional Federations are eligible to apply. Annual theme is only a suggestion, not a requirement. Applicants who do send the report of performed activities will not participate in the Award evaluation
Every Immunological Society and Federation is strongly encouraged to participate in the DoI. EFIS provides pedagogic material to help your teams create successful awareness campaigns and reach journalists, school teachers, politicians, decision makers and the general public.
Each participating Society is invited to design a unique awareness campaign using any media of its choice including posters, videos, social media, mails and emails. Societies Members can for instance record interviews, give lectures, organize joined classroom discussions, meet with teachers… and talk with friends, family and neighbors about the amazing immune system!
The DoI on April 29 is a special day to discuss immunology in public sphere and strengthen the international community of immunologists dedicated to improving health for people around the world.
Process of selection
Applications are reviewed based on the campaign’s originality, clarity, and impact at a national or regional level. More details to be released at a later date.
The DoI Awards for the years 2020, 2021 and 2022 will be handed during the 18th International Congress of Immunology, held in 2022 in Cape Town, South Africa.